Repair or Maintenance

Requesting a repair:
The tenant must have written permission from the landlord/agent, including agreement on reimbursement, from the landlord/agent, unless the repair is an urgent repair.

The tenant should request the repair in writing to the landlord/agent explaining what needs fixing. Even when repairs are not completed, a tenant should never stop paying the rent. Withholding rent will put them in breach of their tenancy agreement and the tenancy may be terminated. 

How to make a request: 
Email your property manager. Your email should include: 

  • Property address you are renting 
  • Explanation of the issue 
  • Images or videos if applicable 
  • Your best contact details to provide to our tradesmen  

If you do not have your property managers details handy, please reach out to our admin team to direct your request to the correct person.  

(02) 93802255 
Suite 3 & 4 /68 Sir John Young Crescent, Woolloomooloo NSW 2011

Maintenance Request Form


Emergency repairs: 
For out of office hours and emergency situations, please contact one of the approved trades below. Should you contact someone that is not Lifestyle approved you may not be refunded the cost of the works. Before calling the plumber or electrician for afterhours attendance, check with a neighbour first to see if the issue is isolated to your apartment or the building as a whole. Our contractors cannot repair issues related to the building. Attendance to common property matters will not be the agencies responsibility. 

Emergency Trade Supplier Contact Information:

CBD Electricals: 0412 008 037

Auscity Plumbing: 0431 471 471
NV Plumbing: 0404 966 411

Bells Locksmith: 9357 2333

SES (State Emergency Service):
Call 132 500

The law distinguishes between urgent (emergency) repairs and those which are not so urgent. Urgent repairs are.

Urgent Repairs Include:

  • Burst water service or serious water service leak
  • Blocked or broken toilet
  • Serious roof leak
  • Gas leak
  • Electrical fault
  • Flooding or serious flood damage
  • Serious storm or fire damage
  • Failure or breakdown of gas, electricity, or water supply
  • Failure or breakdown of hot water service
  • Failure or breakdown of stove, oven, heater, or air-conditioner
  • Fault or damage that makes the property unsafe or insecure

Note: We advise contacting emergency services immediately if the situation poses an immediate threat to life or property.

Thank you for your cooperation. We strive to ensure your safety and satisfaction at all times.

Edit Emergency Repairs